21 June 2007

Simplifying

While catching up on blogs the other day, I came across this post, which really got me thinking. It had already occurred to me that the desire to be green while not changing one's lifestyle was a little silly, but after reading this post I started thinking about how I'd be willing to simplify; that is, what amenities I could easily live without and which ones I'm happily used to. At this point I can't make the decision to give any of these things up, but once the husband and I have our own house, I imagine we will live somewhat more simply in part because we'll have alternative power systems.

In Paul's post he lists a couple of things they could do in order to go without electricity, but I don't think he really went around the house and counted up all the things one uses on a regular basis. For instance,
  • Refrigerator/Freezer Now, if it weren't for the gallons and gallons of goat milk we have to keep cool right now, I think we could probably do without a refrigerator. It would require cooking changes, of course, and we wouldn't be able to keep leftovers for days, but I think a good root cellar and larder would be a workable substitution. The freezer, however, is one of my favorite inventions. Dried and canned foods are okay up to a point, but having a freezerful of the summer's bounty is absolutely wonderful.
  • Water heater/pump The solar shower idea just doesn't work for me. After years of living in Santa Fe, I got used to twice-weekly showers, but when I do take one I want it to be hot and have lots of water pressure. Also, there's no way I'm going to do laundry by hand, especially not with a baby who goes through burp cloths and diapers like Kleenex. I'm a big fan of the washing machine. The dryer I could do without, at least during the summer; in fact, we have a clothesline that needs to be put up now that the winter humidity has ended. The dishwasher also wouldn't be much missed, and I can get my mind around the idea of hand-pumping and boiling water for dishes, although right now it would be a pain with all the bottles and jars for milking and feeding.
  • Stereo A lot of singing goes on in this house, as well as a fair amount of piano-playing and occasional violin practice, but until I can get Over the Rhine or the Royal Philharmonic to drop by on a whim, I'll keep my CD player (and no, batteries are not an option).
  • KitchenAid mixer What can I say? I absolutely adore my KitchenAid. I don't think I could go back to life without it. And I'd keep the blender, too. Oh, and the ice cream maker--none of that hand-crank nonsense.
  • Computer I'd sooner get rid of the phone than the computer, though I don't use it all that much. It's a highly useful tool for many different activities, and, if used in moderation, can simplify one's life and make certain things much easier.
  • Sewing machine I don't use mine much, though I'd like to, but my mother relies on hers and couldn't clothe us without it.
As for the things I could live without, electric lighting is at the top of the list. My family will attest to my deep dislike of artificial lighting, particularly overheads; I've been accused of following certain people around the house just to turn off lights behind them. Though I appreciate them more in this northern latitude, when winter nights start at 4:30 pm, I think I could manage with candles, kerosene lamps, and an earlier bedtime. We're content with these things during the frequent power outages, so I know it wouldn't be too much of a hardship.

Actually I might put TV at the top of the list. I'm not yet entirely willing to toss ours out the window, because I do enjoy watching a movie once or twice a week, but when we moved up here it was astonishingly easy to get out of my TV habit, and I don't miss it a bit; I have no doubt I could live without movies as well. On the other hand, they're pleasant entertainment every now and then. It's too bad neighborhoods and communities couldn't share TVs, passing them around so everyone got one night a week, or something. Hmm, in my dreams...

We already heat with wood, though the fireplace insert in this house requires a fan to really get the heat circulating; and our cookstove is gas-powered. My mother desperately wants an Aga, and I hope to have a wood cookstove in our house eventually; we also have plans for building an earth oven and perhaps a firepit.

Let's see, what else? Most other kitchen appliances are nice but not necessary, and I could definitely chuck the microwave without a single thought. I don't use any electric bathroom accessories (hair dryer, curling iron, etc), or any technological gadgets other than the computer and the cell phone charger. I've probably missed something obvious, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

No comments: